Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Finding my way

This is a departure, a step towards something exciting and new.  I'm in the process of getting my first book published.  Well, okay, it's a novella, and all that's happened so far is that an editor has read it and emailed me to say she is interested in publishing it if I was willing to change the ending.

Pause.  Change the ending?  Really?  I kinda liked the ending.  On the other hand, I'm a total newbie, and figure I'm open to constructive input.  But I was still clutching, at least until I talked with Shel, one of my beta readers (and sister....who happens to live in LA and work in the entertainment industry).  She pointed out that I'd given it a real Hollywood ending, with the heroine giving up her source of power when she met a good man.  Ick.  I did that?  Oops. 

So I emailed the editor today and proposed a different ending, couching it in terms that suggest I'd still be open for suggestion.  And then I checked my email about 7000 times.  I keep telling myself to drop it off a cliff, be happy they liked it enough to email back, and what will be will be.  And I'll tell myself that again after I go check my email.....

No comments:

Post a Comment