Saturday, June 9, 2012

Social Networking: WANATribe

The WANATribe is here! Check out this post by Kristen Lamb, where she describes her motivation for creating the site and what she hopes to accomplish: 
 
  
Because I took one of Kristen's classes last winter, I've had the opportunity to play around on the site for the last few weeks. Then this week, I sent the link out to a few friends who I thought might also be interested in being part of it. Along with a couple of takers, I got an email back from one woman who essentially said,
 
I think this is cool, but what did I just sign up for?
 
That prompted some thought on my part, and an interesting exchange of emails. To answer her question, first, the WANATribe site is intended to be an independent social networking site, geared towards creative types - writers, film makers, whatever. It's a place where you can find a supportive network of like-minded individuals who work together to promote EVERYONE's success.   
 
WANA = We Are Not Alone 
 
It's a little bit Facebook and a little bit BookBlogs with a helping of Twitter, and really, it's so very new (like just since Monday, right?) that there's still time to figure out what it IS. So far everyone I've met through that organization is pretty awesome. There's a wide range of writers there - some unpublished, some indies, & some traditionally published, so there's a lot of experience to learn from. There are also smaller interest groups that you can join, where the discussions are more focused, and classes to improve your skills.

Why yes, I did drink the cool-aid. It was yummy.

I think the key is that if you want to do this, (meaning, be a writer), you need to figure out a strategy for social networking and acknowledge that you're going to have to put some time into it, especially if you go the self-publishing route. EVERY author needs some kind of internet presence - heck, everyone who's trying to sell anything needs to figure out the internet. You're likely going to end up with a combination of sites that you're involved with, probably some combination of a blog, Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, the WANATribe, and so on. Not saying you MUST do any one of these, but each is a tool, and you need to figure out how to use them.

But if you're reading this, you probably know all that.

The big challenge (and this is one I struggle with every single day) is how to find time for the social networking angle and still get some writing done. Because you know, it's fun. I like chatting with people on twitter or Facebook and catching up with blogs through Triberr. And the benefit is I've met some pretty cool folks from all over the world who I consider my friends. I'm still getting some writing done...it's just slower.
 
If you're just starting with all of this, remember that you don't need to do it all at once, just take it one change at a time and see what fits and what doesn't. Check out Kristen's post, or go right to the WANATribe site and see what it's about. And for those of you who've been at it a while, what's your secret for finding the balance between social networking, writing, and, you know, the rest of your life? Inquiring minds want to know...

Peace,
Liv
 
 


5 comments:

  1. I often have a hard time articulating the very coolness of WANA, but you've said it all quite beautifully, Liv. While I do get the necessity of Social Networking, but that isn't the same as knowing what to do with it. That it needn't be painful--is,as you said, in fact FUN, has been something of a revelation. To meet and find myself in tune with, and truly caring about, so many really awesome peeps has been the very best present to open at the party!

    Hum...still, there is the balancing act, which I haven't quite mastered. I try to ration my time in a way that keeps the Big Three (Life, social stuff, writing)revolving somewhat smoothly, but it's a work in progress. Of the three, life is the most unpredictable, but then, That's Life :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gotta work on the whole "writing to life" balance. Sometimes I swear the writing monster has taken over my life. Lots of great suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still need my day-job, so for me the challenge is meeting my writing goals and fitting in social networking too. The great folks I've met through social networking inspire my writing. Like you said, it's about finding balance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara - It IS fun, isn't it? That's what makes the social part worth doing.

    Amanda, I love that you always have such great ideas and that you're willing to work on them.

    Elizabeth, I agree that mixing it up with the peeps I've met through the internet have been such an inspiration.

    Thanks to all of you for checking out the post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me using different social networking sites still a challenge but I enjoy using it even if it can also bring me in failure.

    ReplyDelete