Monday, March 19, 2012

To Love An Irishman

Today I'm happy to welcome the lovely and talented Diva Jefferson to the blog. She's a fellow Black Opal author, as well as a FB & Twitter pal. She and I flipped some emails back and forth and came up with an appropriately Irish-themed interview. I hope you enjoy getting to know Diva, and that you check out her new release, To Love An Irishman.

LR: Are you Irish? How did you celebrate St Patty's Day?
DJ: Yes, I do have some Irish blood in me. I celebrate St. Patty's Day every year by making homemade from scratch Cabbage and Bacon soup.

LR: Have you been to Ireland? Tell us about it, and if not, tell us about your plans to go.
DJ: I have not been to Ireland, but my grandparents have. They provided me with a lot of information as well as books, Google, and friends I've made along my writing journey. I'd love to go very much. This year, if everything works out alright, I will be going to Dublin for my honeymoon. :)

LR: If you could turn back time, when and where would you like to live?
DJ: If I could turn back time, I would like to live in America during the mid-1800s before the Civil War. I am very fond of pretty dresses, and suited men who come to court the women who wear them. I would miss new technology, but I'd like to see a world that is illuminated by candles. I've read enough history to know that every place has its ups and downs, but in all actuality, I'd rather be here than anywhere else.

LR: Is it hard to create historical characters, particularly women, who feel relevant to contemporary readers? Women's roles seem so different now, or do you think that the more things change, the more they stay the same?
DJ: Modern women sometimes don't realize how well we have it now a days. Back then, say 1800s, things were so much different for women. Men decided their lifestyles, what they did, how they did it, where they went. It's hard to relate when we have so much opportunity to follow our dreams than before. It's all we've known in this lifetime. Things do not remain the same, because we are now encouraged by the men in our lives rather than hindered and it's a welcome change.

I still prefer a historical romance where the man goes after the woman, all that chivalry stuff, but a different way of thinking allow us to broaden our horizons and make the heroine go after the hero instead. Like the old Irish and Scottish tradition of the woman asking the man to marry him on Leap Year's Day (or known here as Sadie Hawkins Day). Some change has been going on for centuries behind everyone's back.

Luckily, time does not alter a person's feelings and emotions. Every woman through out history has felt love, betrayal, lust, loneliness, and anger to name a few. If contemporary readers could connect with my heroines on those levels, then I've reached them.

LR: What's the best part about writing romance?
DJ: Romance to me is something I know from experience. It involves human emotions that are taken from real life and molded into people I either could be best friends with (the heroine) or could fall in love with (the hero). Either way it's easier to write what you know, according to Stephen King. Besides, romance always has a happy ending. Shouldn't that be the same for all our lives?

LR: Who's your favorite Celtic music band/artist?
DJ: My favorite band is Celtic Thunder. They all have wonderful voices and their music tends to gravitate toward the traditional folk music that you find at Irish pubs.

LR: Guinness or Harp? 
DJ: Guinness. I like the rich barley taste in the darker beer.

Gotta love a girl who knows her beer, right! Thanks again, Diva, for playing with me today.
Peace,
Liv


Diva Jefferson ~ Historical Romance Author

"Aveline Peyton's father gave her more than just a farm in Ireland. He gave her a handsome Irishman."
She is left with an offer she cannot refuse...

Upon his death in 1823, English nobleman, Lord Peyton leaves his daughter Lady Aveline with two choices—stay single and inherit only a small farm in Ireland, where she might just be able to eke out a living, or get married and live in luxury, inheriting all his wealth and property. Fiercely independent, Aveline heads for Ireland only to run afoul of her father’s farm manager, the devastatingly handsome Ciaran O’'Devlin. Alone in a strange country, Aveline yearns for love and friendship, but Ciaran offers only criticism and disdain. Confused and angered by strange visions and her growing attraction to Ciaran, Aveline is determined to make the farm prosper—despite the insufferable Irishman.

He has a secret he cannot reveal...

Ciaran mistrusts Aveline’s intentions and refuses to admit that a willful, English woman now owns the farm that should have been his. Although he insists Aveline should go back to England, he cannot deny their budding passion. Yet, he knows—even if she doesn’t—that nothing will come of it. Not only can’t a poor Irishman marry an English noblewoman, but when Aveline learns of his past, she’ll want nothing more to do with him. Ciaran has always known that each decision carries a consequence, but it’s only when he stands to lose Aveline that he realizes what a heavy price his past decisions may have.
To Love An Irishman is available at:

8 comments:

  1. Celtic Thunder sounds pretty cool. I'll have to check them out. Enjoyable interview all around :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, thanks for the kind words. I hope you enjoy Celtic Thunder as much as I do!



    -Diva J.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I've heard Celtic Thunder. My fave Irish bands are Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly. I love Irish music, though, so will keep my ear out for them. Thanks so much for guest blogging today, Diva, & thanks to you, too, Mike, for stopping by.
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the interview. ladies. Great to learn more about you, Diva. Guinness I don't drink, but it makes the best beef stew in the world :-) Your book sounds wonderful. I'll be checking it out. I have visited Ireland several times, and I hope you get your Dublin honeymoon. It's a great base of operations to see some of the country. Best to you, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, to tell the truth, Celtic Thunder is like the male version of Celtic Woman (if you have ever heard them). They remind me of bards telling stories through singing. Haha! I do like DM and FM, too! Thanks for having me, Liv!!!

    Pat, thank you for your kind words also. I'm glad you liked it. :)



    -Diva J.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Check out this variety act proformed by Tartan Terrors at Ontariio Medieval Fair (which no longer exists)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdGqdm9Nhd4

    Great interview, Diva. My husband's familly is from Ireland, but 4th generation of Canadians (I think). About the only Irish tradition they kept is that is a bad luck to pass by a pub bearing your name and not venture in. I must get your book, I too love a good historical romance.
    P.S. If my post shows twice it's because the first one got lost in cyberspace and may reappear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm posting this, b/c for some reason Blogger sent me an email that it was here, but is hiding it from us...

    (posted by Zrinka Jelic)

    Great interview, Diva. My husband's family is from Iraland, but 4th generation Canadian. About the only traditiion they kept is the bad luck to pass by the pub bearing your name without venturing in. They are Murphy and there's lots of pubs with that name in. Anyhow, check these guys from Ontario. Tartan Terrors are a variety act and here they preform durning the Ontario Medieval Fair, (no longer in existance ((( but they are a hoot. Will check otu your book.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdGqdm9Nhd4

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, and there it is. Thanks, Firetulilp, for checking out the post. I'd love to hang out in a pub with a bunch of Murphys!
    ;)

    ReplyDelete