Friday, April 3, 2015

Aloha, Baby (A Short Story Serial - Part 7)

Blue eyes, dimples, and a hot surfer's body means trouble, right? There's only one way for Katie to find out...

Losing seventy pounds was sure something to celebrate, but at the same time it created problems Katie never expected to deal with. Like, what to do when the hot-bodied surfer, Jack, turned out to be the DJ at her roommate's favorite dance club. Katie was positive he had ‘Trouble’ stamped on his butt. Didn't he?




So it's been almost two months since I posted the first chunk of Aloha, Baby, and if you've been following along, you rock! Here are links to the previously posted sections: Part 1   -   Part 2   -   Part 3   -    Part 4    -     Part 5   -    Part 6. Net week will be the grand finale, and it should go live right about the time I'm leaving for my own little Hawaiian vacation. Aloha!

So last week we left off with Katie and Jack heading for the beach....at well after bedtime...did I mention we're finally getting to the good part?




I couldn't argue with his logic, so I slipped out of my pumps and followed him through the row of palm trees that separated the sidewalk from the beach. A college self-defense course had taught me to aim at his coconuts and scream loud. As I walked, I visualized what to do in case he really did turn out to be trouble. Smacking him with my pointy heels would probably be a good start. Too bad I’d left them in his car.



The steady slapping rhythm of water on sand calmed me. Jack paused to roll his jeans up to mid-calf. He padded out several feet, letting the baby waves break around his ankles. The sky was a deep purple black and between the moon and the streetlights at our back, it was fairly easy to see. Moonlight tipped the waves with pewter. Scallops of white foam cruised onto the beach, each one reaching a tiny bit further than the last. The tide was coming in.

He stood looking out across the ocean, off to the side of me so I could see his profile. From the backs of his bare calves to his broad shoulders, everything about him looked strong. I was having trouble reconciling my initial impression of him with all this new information. I hadn’t expected smarts and maturity in someone so good looking.

“I bet I’m freaking you out.” His voice was barely louder than the soft splash of the waves.

“A little.”

He tugged the legs of his jeans up over his knees, his shirt glowing white in the semi-darkness. “Well you’re making me work awful hard.”

I snorted out a laugh. “I’m…sorry?”

“I mean, I’ve seen you at the beach for months and you barely smile at me.” He took a couple steps in my direction, stopping when he was just about an arm’s length away.

A little gust of breeze tossed his bangs around, and I took a minute to breath in the mix of salty ocean smell and city air. My hidden fat girl was ready to burst into tears of frustration. I really didn’t want to add ‘first break-up’ to the list for tonight. “Yeah, well…”

“You’re a pretty girl, Katie.”

“I’m not sure…”

He came a few steps closer. “And that dress is slammin’.”

If the rough edge to his voice wasn’t enough of a hint, his heavy-lidded gaze told me exactly how much he appreciated the dress.

My breathing was shallow, and I was torn between grabbing him with both hands and running away. “Thanks,” I whispered.

“And you know what I think is cooler? You have such a great feel for the water. I love watching you hanging in the impact zone, waiting for the perfect ride.” He gently laid his palm against the side of my face. I turned towards his hand, and he ran a thumb over my lips. My lips took the initiative and opened a little. Though it was tempting, I was able to stop myself from licking him. It was a close call.

 My world was down to the swirl of water around my ankles, the glow of his eyes in the moonlight, and the rapid throb of my pulse. When I didn’t respond he continued, almost as if he was thinking out loud. “Every night in the club, pretty women line up to talk to me.”

I rolled my eyes. “Don’t be modest or anything.”

“It’s the truth. They’re all there wanting…whatever they want. To be seen with Mr. DJ. I’d rather be with someone who’ll go to the beach with me and hang out, you know? Maybe barbeque. Talk story.”
His other hand wrapped around my waist, and he pulled me against his body. “Okay?”

“Yeah.”

His lips were rough, a little salty, and he kissed me slow, like we had all the time in the world to stand there with the ocean twisting around our ankles. I’d never been kissed this way before, and when I pulled back, he rested his lips against my forehead. Then he wrapped both arms around my waist and hugged me close. The tropical night gave us our moment of privacy. I ran my fingers along the collar of his shirt, teasing the damp hairs at the nape of his neck. It earned me another smile, and I melted a little more.

“So we’ll go to the beach on Sunday? It’s my day off.”

I threaded a finger through one of his belt loops. “That would be cool.”

“All right then.”

And he kissed me again.

* * *

We drove to my apartment in an easy silence.

When we got there, Jack parked in the loading zone in front of the main entrance. He made a gesture out of opening my door for me. With a hand on my arm, he walked me to the front door.

“Hold on.” He knelt down and, very slowly, took off one of my black pumps and then the other. I supported myself by propping a hand on his shoulder. His firm, muscular shoulder. The way he rubbed his knuckles across my instep made me shiver. Standing, he pulled me close. “One more.”

Almost immediately the heat of him cut down through my core. His tongue brushed against my lips, and I opened myself up, let my energy respond to his.

It was a long time before he pulled back. “Damn, Cuddles, you’re a good kisser.”

I smiled, feeling shy. Another first: no one had ever told me I was a good kisser. Jack had turned out way different than I’d expected. He probably still had Trouble stamped somewhere, though I wasn’t too worried about it anymore. “Cuddles?”

“Well, I can’t call you Shave Ice anymore, and you need a nickname. Cuddles feels like a good one.” He ran his hands over my back. “We’re on for Sunday?”

“Yeah.”


“Good. I’ll call you tomorrow.”

And what happens next? Will he call? They always says they're going to call...
Jump HERE for the final chapter!
Mahalo,
Liv

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure he will call, and it won't be because he needs her help in fighting a kung fu battle at the base of an erupting volcano while an evil island god awakes ;)

    Nicely written, Liv...I especially liked the imagery of the tropical night and the ocean and the waves and stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shh! Don't wake up the island gods!
    ;)
    Thanks Mike!

    ReplyDelete