Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Basement Level Five: Never Scared

It's summertime, my dear Rancourtesans, which means I'm still in the mood for a frosty beverage and a bit of fun. And nothing is more fun than introducing a guest. This week my Wednesday post is by Leslie Wright, another of the fine authors I've met through Black Opal Books. Her book, The Basement Level Five: Never Scared is a page-turner (Kindle-flipper?) and took me to some real interesting places. Never thought I'd root for a cold-blooded killer, but there you go. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Here's our interview...

Liv: What’s the most compelling thing about your most recent project, the thing that’s kept your butt in the chair through hours of writing and revising?

Leslie: I would have to say that I'm just interested in seeing the journey come to an end. In Basement Level 5: Never Scared, I was invested in seeing Alexa and her family beat the enemy and get to happy. Plus, I'd set a personal deadline that I wanted to meet. My latest WIP is a heavy romantic women's fiction about a woman torn between two brothers. I fell in love with the heroine and I empathize with her plight. It's a touchy subject matter and I want to do it justice.

Liv: If you had to recommend one writing resource, either a class or a book or a workshop, what would that be?

Leslie: I took a creative writing class in college and that had a lasting impact on me. In that class, we experimented with lots of forms of writing, including fiction, plays, and poetry. I would definitely recommend a basic creative writing class or two for everyone.

Liv: Fantasy or reality? Most people lean one way or the other in their work. Do you have a preference, or do you swing both ways?

Leslie: I prefer to write reality. I like to write real people in real situations. But having said that, I do enjoy reading fantasy and immersing myself into different worlds.

Liv: Clutter or quiet? Which one makes it possible for you to be creative? Describe your perfect writing situation.

Leslie: Clutter. I can't stand quiet and I can't concentrate in quiet. In order for me to write, I have to always have my music on. Without it, I will not be able to concentrate.

Liv: How to you juggle all your hats (spouse, parent, worker-bee, housekeeper, writer)?

Leslie: Actually, I'm trying to figure that out myself. Life has taken so many twists and turns, I've found it harder to write now. I'm starting to think I have to get up early in the morning just to get some words down on paper, especially during softball season for my daughter. Luckily, that's almost over. But I'm thinking I either need to stay up later (which is hard) or get up early to write (that's probably not going to happen) Time seems to slip through my fingers.

Liv: What’s your favorite non-writing activity? Like, are you a daily mall-walker? Or, do you collect vintage salt shakers?

Leslie: I love to plan events. I'm always organizing something, which may contribute to my lack of time to write. I'm also addicted to Investigative Discover channel and HGTV. I will sneak to watch my House Hunters or Nightmare Next Door. I love those shows.

Liv: Football, basketball, baseball or soccer?

Leslie: Football, definitely, and only because the season is so much shorter than basketball. LOL My hubby is a huge sports fan so I can't escape it. Those damn Detroit Lions have disrupted family life too many times to count. LOL

Liv: What’s next on your horizon? Describe your current WIP(s) or other upcoming project.

Leslie: I'm working on multiple projects but trying to finish/revise my work in progress, It's Complicated. Every time I think I'm done, something forces me to edit and edit and revise and edit. After I finally nail down the ending, I'm going to finish up another romance tackling one of my favorite subjects: a marriage of convenience.

Thanks very much, Leslie, for playing along. Your book is awesome and I'm so glad I had the chance to find out more about it, and about you. I wish you and all the Rancourtesans out there a happy Summer Solstice!
Peace,
Liv


Basement Level Five: Never Scared
Alexa Martinez was raised to believe that murder, deceit, and lies were a part of life. A trained killer, she follows in her father’s footsteps, specializing in political assassinations for Martinez Security—contracted through the CIA. She thrives on the power, money, respect, and—most of all—the adrenaline rush.

Despite the danger associated with her profession, Alexa strives to give her children a normal life. But when her past catches up with her, they become pawns in a deadly game of revenge. Operating from a secret base five levels below ground, Alexa struggles to unravel the puzzle, uncovering secrets that will alter their lives forever. Now she must make a choice—is she willing to die to give her children a life outside the bullet proof glass?

About L. R. Wright:  I’m a devoted wife of many years and mother to 3 wonderful children who inspire and motivate me to follow my dreams.  In addition to writing, I love romance novels, fine wine, and hanging out with my friends and family.  I crunch numbers for a living, and plan events for fun. 

Twitter: @LWrightAuthor

8 comments:

  1. So fascinating to get a glimpse into the person behind the book. Your involvement in and attachment to family shines through in your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Intriguing story that I am additing to my collection. I agree with what you said about taking a class and love the idea of protagonist as killer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy summer solstice to you too. It's funny how we're so different. For me, I cannot possibly think in clutter. And once I shared an office with disorganized co-worker. Not a good arrangement. My laundry may sit in the basket for days, but at least it's folded and sorted. If I know there's a pile of mess somewhere in the house, it won't let me sit still. I have to stop everything and tidy it up. Music, absolutely, but not too loud. More like in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Leslie,

    I'm a little more than half way through B5 and loving it! Your two WIPS sound intriguing, good luck with them.

    Yeah for football (NY JETS), clutter, and good music. I don't like to plan anything though, it's more fun to let things happen (most of the time, LOL)_

    Nice interview.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for stopping by! I have met so many wonderful writer friends during this journey. And thanks, LIV, for having me! I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. From childhood to adulthood, you've always shined. Love you kid (lol). Most definitely proud as well. Thank you for just 'BEING YOU'.
    Love Ya 'L-Boogie',
    Buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a fabulous novel! Sigh...now I have to read it. When I'm least expecting it, those books (real and cyber) in my reading stack may collapse and squash me like a grape!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a fabulous novel! Sigh...now I have to read it. When I'm least expecting it, those books (real and cyber) in my reading stack may collapse and squash me like a grape!

    June 22, 2012 8:03 AM

    ReplyDelete